United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1QuikWS6 View Post
Yes, I already have the specialty wrench & correct diff fluid

Thanx for the tips + list of possible suppliers

I know ECSTuning/Turner sell the tool, just not looking to pay $465 for (1) time use

I'm still kicking myself - found one on ebay couple months ago for BIN $200 shipped and I forgot about it till I got the notice it was sold

I was gonna have my local Indy that I use all the time do the install, said they could do it for <$500. But later when I showed them a pic of the tool & asked if they had it - the answer was No

I'm thinking they have only experience changing diff in E9x series where the axles are simply bolted on. Why BMW chose to change from this proven design is beyond me...
I think that the BMW decision to change the half-shaft design all has to do with weight. Weighs a lot more for the extra flanges and bolts but that circlip weighs nothing.

VW used to use some FWD half shafts that had flanges that bolted on so they were easy to get off the car. But on the bench, to remove the CV joints they used similar circlips that fit into a groove.

Smart to ask your Indy about the specialty tools. My Indy also got surprised when he began my installation. I was lucky that he was smart and experienced enough to stop everything, research the issue and make arrangements to borrow the tools from another mechanic.

It took a couple extra days but I'm glad that he was so professional and explained it to me accurately. A friend of mine wasn't so lucky and his Indy kept going, tried to rig some tools and ultimately destroyed his LSD. Caused him a huge hassle and needless to say he's never going there again.
Appreciate 0