View Single Post
      10-10-2018, 06:52 PM   #12
bavarianride
Major General
Rep
Drives: bimmer

Quote:
Originally Posted by bacardi198 View Post
I purchased the vehicle preowned at a dealer last October; it's a 2013 that was originally sold in October 2013, but only has 37k miles, so it's out of warranty only due to age.

I called the dealer and confirmed the OFHG was replaced in February 2017, but there is no 2 year / unlimited mile warranty on repairs that are done under warranty...which I think is really asinine.

Anyways, I pulled off the housing and both gaskets still look brand new. Not sure where this oil came from, I'm almost ready to believe it was accidentally topped off in the expansion tank like jimk mentioned. I've only driven it 800 miles since purchasing a year ago, and I didn't look at the coolant when I bought it as I assumed the dealer did due diligence.

Other things: the oil level has been perfect since purchase; the oil I drained over the weekend was a good color, no frothy/milky/coffee-like color; the coolant under the oil was a very clean greenish-blue color; car has never overheated or thrown any check engine codes.

I ran some coolant flushing stuff for 3 hours, drained it, filled up and drained 3 more times but there was still residual oily grime from the system floating up to the top. I think the best bet is to have it flushed at the dealer, although I don't know if they do a power flush or if it's just a drain and fill. Can't get an answer from the service department because the guy doesn't know off the top of his head and can't check because he was "the only one working today" .
One option is to flush coolant and refill, then check if oil shows up again. If it is accidental filling of oil to expansion tank, then the flush should hopefully take care of it.
Appreciate 0