View Single Post
      06-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #82
rconti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: x5 3.5d, Clownshoe, Tesla 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Needsdecaf View Post
Honestly, I prefer wheel paddles over column, but that's just me. And as fast as the transmission is in this car, I don't think most people would even notice it's not a DCT. Except that it's smoother when you pull away from a stop.
Most people do, because there's rarely a reason to be shifting gears while shuffle steering. If you're giving enough steering input to re-place your hands, should you really be shifting? And if you're giving <180deg of steering input, just keep your hands on the damn wheel, and the paddles will be right there.

I just drove my first N20 a few minutes ago, and was blown away by the power and torque. It's a seriously quick car, that seeming gives away little in terms of feel to the N54s I've driven. I imagine at higher speeds, eg 90-100+, the acceleration is not quite there, but at lower speeds it really goes. More than enough power, especially given the marginal tires fitted as stock. It felt every bit as quick as my Coupe.

The 8AT is pretty decent, even though it makes some bad guesses at times. My only question is whether the engine would feel as flexible thru a 6MT. I suspect it would be fine, though, because the torque peak seems pretty damn large.

I hate the off-throttle response of drive-by-wire in modern cars. No engine braking to speak of. Hopefully the 6MT are better.
Appreciate 0