08-25-2016, 09:13 PM   #38
Class5Kayaker
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW F15, 2014 Porsche 991

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arzatema View Post
Thanks for the advice. I just put in the order this morning. Did you end up using anti seize and dielectric grease? I have read BMW says no and the Bentley manual says yes.
I did not. Bentley Manual does NOT say you should use anti-seize in their directions. They do have a "side note" that says, "Never use any kind of oil or copper-based anti-seize compound on the spark plug threads."

NGK (that's who makes our plugs) Technical Bulletin #NGKSP-0907-1 says that all their plugs are manufactured with a special metal shell (trivalent) plating to prevent damage to the cylinder head. For plugs with this special metal plating, anti-seize is not recommended during installation. Applying anti-seize to these plugs will cause the installer to mistakenly over-torque the plug in the cylinder head stretching the metal between the last thread and the seal between the cylinder head and plug. This increases the probability that the spark plug will either break during installation or upon removal.

Even the other major manufacturers (Autolite, AC Delco, Champion, etc.) all say to not use anti-seize. These days, their plugs are all manufactured to not seize through various special metal processing techniques I'm not smart enough to fully understand and adding anti-seize could actually make things worse.

2016 BMW F15 xDrive 35i - Imperial Blue Metallic
2014 Porsche 991- Sapphire Blue Metallic
Appreciate 1
etinifni203.00