View Single Post
      05-31-2018, 02:30 PM   #60
DRuw
Captain
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: G21 330e MSport Individual

Ok, did some fiddling and it seems the plug going into the unit for the GPS was a bit off. The blue cap is now off and GPS is fine now (will test tomorrow to be sure but initial testing is 13 satellites of which 12 were used for lock within my garage).
With the app, also voice input works (not via the steering wheel but pressing the microphone button at the text input field).
The thing got me scared a couple of times though.
When I turn off my car and within a short amount of time, the android part said "No Signal". Idrive worked but nothing from the droid part.
After disconnecting and reconnecting some cables and waiting for some minutes, it worked, didnt work and worked again...
No idea what it was but I have put everything back together and it remained working.
Sound is 99% identical to factory DAB (used an internet audio stream for test).
My own DAB usb module doesnt work yet.
It is recognised and the app is installed but my antenna connection is not working, or at least the scanning gives an error after its cycle.
I expected to work a bit but it seems its all or nothing.
I need to wait for my cable to arrive to split my DAB signal from factory.
The last issue that seems to be solved is that I heard a buzzing/cracking sound today which sounded like a harddrive booting and buzzing (quite loud!).
I think there was a power cable too close to my center dash speaker which caused the interference.
sliding the bmw unit out and in solved that unintentionally.

Ok, I also found some dislikes to be honest.
- Browsing sucks. even on my home network with an access point in my garage the speed is beyond crap...
- there seems to be a small portion of the bottom of the screen not showing in some apps. Some google things but also the bottom of a dropbox page where I needed to download didnt show the bottom... where I needed to click for the download.
- small one: there are no demo movieclips or audio files to test with...

Newly found good-to-knows:
- pressing the screen while in Idrive screen returns instantly to android side.
- install a Wifi priority app so your home network is selected before your phone hotspot
- the cheap Wifi OBDII unit works with torque: https://nl.aliexpress.com/item/2017-...29c34c4dMYXmoL

Last edited by DRuw; 05-31-2018 at 02:35 PM..
Appreciate 0