03-21-2013, 07:59 PM   #99
drob23
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: S4

Quote:
Originally Posted by walile View Post
I often find that debating on Internet forums is a waste of time. Yet I also don't want people to come here and get misinformed or think that this forum lacks fundamental automotive knowledge. Nothing personal here.

Now, just because you make a statement, that doesn't make it true. What you are saying simply does not make sense.
Please point out all of my logical fallacies, all I read is you preaching superior intellect and knowledge.

Quote:
It's not the "rear diff" part that eliminates understeer, after all every modern cars have a rear differential.
ok the rear ACTIVE differential!!!! Read between the lines...christ...

Quote:
Of course it's the torque vectoring that reduces the understeer, and its implementation necessitates a computer controlled active differential or using rear brakes like Porsche. In theory you can have a front active diff with torque vectoring on a FWD car.
Torque vectoring is a principle of physics, it can be done with brakes or throttle. You are arguing which one of my points?

Quote:
What is the "Regardless of performance" nonsense? In an AWD system, the goal is to maximize the use of available traction to yield higher performance. They are directly related.

Increase rear bias is only beneficial if there are more traction at the rear. Otherwise we will just send 100% of the power to the rear aka RWD.
Increasing torque to the front wheels reduces the ability to turn the car. This is simple physics, there are situations where you want traction for cornering rather than power application. Again, you read what you want and completely miss the point. I said that the crown/torsen center differential appropriates torque based purely on minimizing wheel slip, not optimizing for track times or whatever metric you want to consider. I was talking about a torsen/crown center diff, not any general AWD system.

Quote:
You are correct that on some model like the RS5 it uses the new crown gear center diff. But I don't know if that change has trickled down to their entire model lineup.
I have it on my S4.

Quote:
It also doesn't change the fact that it is not an active center differential. So, it cannot proactive change power distribution as soon as it senses steering input. Of course when coupled with the active Sport Differential at the rear, it becomes less of an issue.
Fantastic, what's your point?