capt_slow
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 F31 328d

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by catskillclimber View Post
I don't think the dealer inspection picks up very small leaks in the cooler.
Get an engine oil analysis and look at the sodium value. Ours started to increase at just past 50k while coolant loss was minimal at 1 qt over 10k miles.
We had a steady/slow coolant loss until past 90k when it we lost 1qt in only 1500miles. Sodium made a big jump at the same point.
If you engine oil shows more than 1ppm per 1000miles I would suspect the cooler leak has started. Ours jumped from <1ppm to ~4ppm per 1000 miles when the leak started. Sodium doubled when the coolant leak rate increased past 90k. Wear metals started to rise at that point too.
Sodium returned to normal once the cooler was replaced.
Dealer did a pressure test of the system and it checked out fine. They also topped off the coolant. Thanks for the tip! I'll probably keep an eye on the coolant tank level (it's above the tank seam now) and do a Blackstone report at the next oil change.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chukker View Post
Speaking of leaks, anyone want to hazard a guess as to what was dripping down on my wheel chock from this particular location? That's the right front tire of my 2015 328d Touring... Kinda looks like a "slushy" or "slurpy". Nobody in my household gets those, though!
Could it be road salt?