12-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #23
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by instalher View Post
all of the drivers mentioned need airspace to work, model the theil small parameters on term pro and you will very quickly see they have horrific curves under 80 hz...
This is why i've always had a problem calling these underseats: subwoofers. They will never produce the same sound at the same frequencies as a proper trunk sub. Ever. These very flat/thin speakers have a very limited range for cone excursion, and the necessary enclosure space needed to generate that kind of sound is just not there. I don't know why there is a never-ending quest to turn a hammer into a screwdriver.

The best we can hope for is solid lower mid-range to upper/mid-bass. I get that people want to use the existing speaker/space under the seat, and don't want to mess with a leased car, or that you don't want to lose trunk space, but you'll just have to accept the fact that you won't get the perfect sound you are looking for. You set your priorities, accept the consequences, and live with your decision.

Its hard to tell from your pics, but is all that work to create a bigger enclosure happening under the seats? or elsewhere...
Appreciate 0