View Single Post
      06-11-2018, 11:43 AM   #1
HoustonGuy83
Rep
Drives: 2017 340i

Help!!!! Steering Wheel Vibration - Brand New 340i

Guys I need your help because this is driving me crazy. I am thinking about getting rid of my car but before i do that I need to find out if what i am experiencing is part of the design or its a flaw.

So i bought a 2017 340i brand new 2 months ago. From Day 1 I experienced vibration. The Steering wheel wobbles back and forth (Left , Right, Left Right) at 50mph and goes all the way to 70mph. It doesn't vibrate when braking. I have Continental Contipro Contact 225/45R18 95V XL.

So i went to the dealership several times in past 2 months and they did everything from Road Force Balancing ( 4 Times ) , check rotors, even Replaced all 4 of the tires. The vibration is still present. They called the BMW Field Engineer who sat with me when i drove the car, according to him it has to do with roads. I didnt agree because i drove it on all different kinds of roads and the problem starts at 50mph. It almost feels like if the vibration is induced artificially for some reason.

Now this part is crazy :
Long Story short, my dealer agreed to swap my 340i with some other BMW of my choice (ofcourse i would have to pay the price difference) so i went to the dealership and test drove 2018 330i (Continental Tires), 2018 430i (Pirelli Tires) and 2018 440i (Continentals). All these cars had the exact same vibration. You let the steering wheel go at 50mph and you can see the steering wheel wobbling left , right, left , right. It was worst with Pirelli.

Now my conclusion, its part of the design and other BMW drivers are not very sensitive to vibrations? Or is it because of the Run-Flat Tires?

I drove 2015 328i for 3 years with Run Flat Pirellis and never experienced any vibration. During my service visits, i drove many BMW loaners ( X1, X3, X5, 530 ) but had no issues.

Do you guys have the same issue and you just ignore it ?
Appreciate 0