2006 TIME Person Of The Year
United_States
Rep
Drives: M Sport 335i

Garage List
2014 335i  [9.74]
Quote:
Originally Posted by TEST DRYVER View Post
I've personally owned several (semi-affordable) performance cars. Many were bought with modified suspensions, others I modified them for my personal taste. None of the mentioned cars had any form of adaptive suspension from the factory.
Currently, I have a 2015 335i M-sport with adaptive suspension and a 2018 Porsche 718 Cayman with PASM (Porsche Active Suspension Management). I would personally recommend against modifying an OEM adaptive style suspension. I would consider aftermarket springs, anti-roll bars, maybe even camber plates for OEM adaptive suspensions. But I can't imagine an aftermarket company (even reputable companies such as Dinan, Bilstein, etc...) making a better (think OEM R&D dollars vs aftermarket R&D dollars) adaptive shock absorber than OEM.
That being said, if your car doesn't have OEM adaptive suspension and are looking to upgrade into one, then aftermarket adaptive style suspension makes complete sense. That being said, I am considering lowering springs for my adaptive suspension. I also like the idea of Dinans ECU tuning management for BMW's adaptive suspension.
Obviously, this is just my opinion...
I respectfully disagree with your premise that for some reason the aftermarket is incapable of producing a better active damper system than OEM. Especially when simultaneously changing other suspension components like springs.

My position is aftermarket active dampers are just like any other aftermarket part. The aftermarket manufacturer can use higher quality components and focus the design to a narrower performance window than OEM. Of course this isn't a given so buyer beware, but to me it's just silly to section off active dampers as the one OEM part that can't be bettered by the aftermarket.