View Single Post
      09-25-2020, 04:16 PM   #4
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdmwol2ks View Post
Any suggestion on pads? I have the blue caliper 340/345 brake set up already. Stock pads for those aren't good enough for track use?

What is the general consensus on the mode to use? Seems like Sport+ off is the way to go since it'll probably not spin tires or eat the brakes? Or should I just disable the elsd and do dsc off?
You can definitely still drive it with stock pads. They may last you most of a day depending how hard you are on brakes. You need to feel out the brakes as they will get worse as the day goes on and you'll need to change your braking points to brake earlier. But after a day, you will need to replace it. You will need pads that can handle higher temps than stock brakes eventually if you want to track with consistency.

The pad compounds are more important than the brake caliper and rotors for track use. You can get away with track pads on base 312 rotors and be fine on track. There is no need to spend a lot of money.

Autocross is not track, the speeds are lower and you are chewing up tires more than brakes at autocross. You will be fine with stock brakes at autocross. Overall consumables are much lower at autocross.