11-03-2020, 02:19 PM   #28
Watsey
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 330D sDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by G50 View Post
Seriously? I've just bought the kit and tool to hopefully deal with my knock, after polybush on both sets of arms and new front dampers hasn't cured it.

Does yours mostly do it when turning left and the drivers side goes over a pot hole or imperfection? I have no issues when turning right and it's mostly fine going in a straight line over imperfections. It also follows the road, as if somewhere between the front wheels and steering wheel there is some play that allows them to move ever so slightly independent of each other.
There several different reasons why knocking noises can occur, and at least one of them is definitely related to the steering rack. They are known to go out of tolerance, and also for internal gear mechanisms to wear. A knock/click is common when the steering wheel is rocked L-R when the engine is not running.

The replacement thrust block is a different design and may help/completely cure a knocking rack which has some excess tolerance relating to the internal shaft. The full block replacement process on newtis also requires the use of special attachments and a digital tolerance gauge, but I don't have those.

Knocking can also come from track rod ends, ball joints, dampers, top mounts; all manner of components. Several of those are going to be replaced in a few weeks' time - the car is heading towards 100K miles and a bit of preventative maintenance can only help (and may cure the problem).
Current : F31 330sD, remapped, Ohlins Road & Track, Millway camber plates, Quaife LSD, Stoptech brakes + Pagid RSL1 pads all round, Weichers front strut brace, Eibach front & rear anti-roll bars, Michelin MP4S.
Appreciate 0