View Single Post
      11-26-2020, 06:45 AM   #31
G50
Captain
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: G31

Had my steering rack repair fitted today (replacement thrust piece) and thought I'd update on the effects.

Before:
-A loud pronounced knock when the drivers side wheel went over pothole/imperfections, much more pronounced when turning left.

-A loose feeling in the steering, as if there was play between the steering wheel and the wheels, which felt as though the wheels could ever so slightly move on their own without any steering wheel input.
This meant the car needed lots of minute steering adjustments in a straight line, especially on the motorway, but also when going round fast sweeping bends, constant corrections needed to keep a consistent turn.

I have been chasing this knock over bumps since spring, having replaced the front shocks(i wanted to do this anyway) and then polybushing the LCAs (camber and thrust arms). The knock got progressively worse after the polybushes.

After:
No knocks! The car drives straight, is much easier to place in the corners, isn't easily diverted by ruts and catseyes etc, and I can finally feel the effects of the polybushes and improved dampers (Koni special active).
103,000 miles and it drives like a brand new car and better than stock, really happy.

If anybody is in the Lancashire area, I had the work done at Tensport Performance, who I initially used to use for all the work on my track car, but I now use him for everything on the F31 also, having done all the suspension work and the last service, as I trust him and his work.
Appreciate 0