Garage List
2020 X7  [10.00]
X5  [8.50]
IX  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by JNW1 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRS_SN View Post
if green cars eventually have 500 plus mile ranges batteries get lighter etc and most people charge from home what's the point in building a vast charging point infrastructure.
Perhaps we promote innovation ie if no superchargers ionity etc manufacturers will innovative to create cars that will drive much longer distances cleaner tech n fuel. Hence waiting and watching to see how this cat n mouse game pans out.
You're right, EV's with a longer range should reduce the need for lots and lots of charging points. However, a large number of people have no off-street parking so unless there's a development to facilitate the wireless charging of EV's I assume those individuals will be reliant on a charging network of some sort? And of course even with a longer range there will always be occasions when people need to charge away from home (business trips, holidays, etc) so a charging infrastructure will still be needed.

Might be wrong but I think we'll see some significant improvements in battery technology and EV ranges over the next 5 to 10 years; if and when cars like (say) Tesla Model 3's are able to match the range as well as the performance of (say) M340d's that will be a game changer for EV's IMO.
if the ev revolution has taught us one thing it is that there will be change and innovation. Add in competition with major manufacturers jumping in its going to get interesting. There will be forms of green mobility that suit individual circumstances in the time ahead.
I remember moving from landline to mobiles and how battery weight and size kept improving a great deal in mobiles and a 10 year period would cause such major improvements. I don't think it's unfair to expect the Same from car batteries.
It doesn't mean one should wait 10 years if ones current circumstances financial or otherwise suit ev use equally if it doesn't it won't hurt to wait a wee while.
Appreciate 2
Sennen1733.50
JNW13122.00