View Single Post
      10-24-2019, 04:19 PM   #19
thejeremyman9
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by khj24 View Post
Agree with everything you said at the top, this started with the installation of the CP for me, the IC(installed after) didn't really change anything, but could be tolerances as you mentioned. Im not going to call anyone out over this until I notice a solution, if a larger o-ring or different CP fixes this it clearly isn't something I or BMW did wrong as stock configuration is fine.

The last time I messed with the gasket/oring was a few months ago, so I am not too worried about the amount. The leak is probably acting like a catch can so to speak with the can being the intercooler surface lol. I just think it isn't reaching the manifold so its obvious how much oil gets ran through the piping by design(which you would notice with an OCC).

When I say it took much more effort to install I mean it, the stock one literally can be dropped onto the IC with absolutely no resistance. I had to use both hands from underneath(not easy) to yank this down over the lip of the IC, and it is infinitely more rigid and secure. I did not use the TB ring or try the TIC side, as I'm certain they aren't an issue. I keep banging on about this but when it comes to force required stock would be about a 0.5 and o-ring would be an 8 or 9.

I will definitely keep an eye on the connection to see if any oil accumulates, if so I might just buy a new CP and go from there. Thankfully you can see the connection without having to take the undertray off.
Yeah, I don't think you/BMW did anything wrong, i would just sum it up as an aftermarket CP/IC/TIC maybe require an aftermarket Oring for best results, even if it is designed to be a stock replacement.

With regards to the oil, i would just comment that i noticed virtually zero oil in my intake, CP, and TIC pipe when I removed the stock IC+CP and was messing around with the intake for boost leak testing. My car has 41k miles.

I am on the same page with the increase in effort - my VRSF CP-IC connection literally fell on with zero effort when using stock Oring. I had to pull down with both hands to slide the same connection on using the aftermarket Oring. There is also basically no play in the connection now with the aftermarket Oring. On the other hand, there was no way i could use anything other than stock Oring on the stock TIC to VRSF IC connection. i applied probably 100lbs of force trying to get the TIC onto the IC with the aftermarket Oring and there was no way it was going on, so i ended up with stock. That connection felt fine. I dont think i had a issue with stock Oring on CP-TB connection, but i ended up using the larger one anyways, also with increased effort.
Appreciate 0