View Single Post
      11-07-2021, 10:19 AM   #14
jkoplik
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i xdrive

Repeated Amp issues in BMW 440i convertible 2019

Hi Everyone -

I bought a used BMW 440i convertible 2019 model. It has been to the repair shop 4 times for the same exact issue: It keeps losing all sound and has no warning tones. They repeatedly keep fixing / replacing the amplifier.

I'm now being told by the shop that I must wipe down the car from dew and rain before putting the top down -- as the water is channelling somehow to the amp and they believe this is the cause of the repeated issues.

This seems absurd to me - its a convertible after all, and its not like its a first year edition where you'd expect the kinks to not be worked out. I had a Volkswagen EOS hardtop, which was half the cost, and never had an issue nor had to perform any such wipe-down before using it.

It is still under warranty and I'm debating getting the extended. Even if I don't get the extended, because this is so recurrent and systemic, I feel they should fix it anyway going forward as it's clearly a design defect. Over the course of time, the car has been in the shop for 4-5 weeks because of this.

Can they build a metal box with holes in it in order to vent the amp to fix this? Other suggestions? Escalate up the BMW chain? Waterproofing should not be this difficult??

Thoughts and advice appreciated!

-Joe
Appreciate 0