Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: orange BMW 1M.

Quote:
Originally Posted by baege View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by 10" View Post
IMO If you're willing to spend $150k on a car you should focus on what you love rather than being practical.

It's not a practical choice to buy a $150k car; so why insert practicality into the equation?

This is why, IMO, people are often not happy with their choices and are constantly chasing something else.

I don't mean this as an attack on you specifically but your original title was very non-passionate and more about "investment" details.
I get what you're saying, but when you are negotiating with the wife about dropping 150k on a sports car instead of contributing to a bigger downpayment of a house, then practicality does tend to creep in

If you buy a car that depreciates slowly and has low maintenance costs
as opposed to something like an aston martin that depreciates like a tank and has the potential for outrageous maintenance costs, the overall cost difference can be huge

so even though it's a large investment amount in a car, which seems impractical, the choice of what to invest in still matters, unless you are in a financial position where a difference of 5 to 10k a year in your financial situation doesn't matter, which I am not
I kinda get what you're saying but I dunno....I guess my mindset is totally different.

I will never spend $150k on a car. If I ever spend $100k it will be on a car that Is probably older and something I will never sell again.

$150k, to me, is an impractical amount of money on a car for most people.

If you really want something that won't lose money; you should consider classic cars where you likely won't lose a dime and will have more of an adventure than buying something newer, IMO.

I'd say buy something you really love and enjoy your time and life rather than worrying about selling the concept of buying a compromise.