View Single Post
      11-17-2018, 05:58 PM   #92
ZeroFx
Major
Rep
Drives: M4x

Quote:
Originally Posted by muffking View Post
I would be interested to know what facts those statements are based on.

I agree in principal. It sounds strange that an S172 carries a lesser penalty, but it comes back to the point of criminality. If you don't name the driver then you get prosecuted for a different offence to the one that you may or may not have committed.

For clarity here is an extract from Pattersons Law.
The guidelines for failure to provide details offences will be six Penalty Points on a licence and a fine of up to £1000. There may be alternatives to this punishment if the offence is thought to be a deliberate attempt to pervert the course of justice. Perverting the course of justice is a far more serious offence and carries with it a maximum prison sentence of 14 years.
S172 is used by people to try and get away with a number of offences where they have to name the driver on a NIP. Because the insurance companies cant tell exactly which offence you were going to be done for they then sting you even harder than if you admitted the speeding.

I also think they can hand out bans and even perverting the course of justice charges if they think you are obstructing the prosecution of the offence.
Appreciate 0