View Single Post
      12-12-2018, 01:09 PM   #85
Polo08816
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
The dealer pays for everything (really just parts) and sends a bill to the OEM. The OEM then pays for everything (parts + labor) and bills the supplier. The supplier also has to pay for 3rd party inspection and other increased quality measures until the issue is resolved. The rule of thumb is always to rectify the issue as quickly as possible, then find root cause later and sort out the financial portion in the background. Ideally the dealer/customer should never be left hanging waiting for approval to fix the car.

Now If the OEM reads a service write up that indicates the car was modified in a way that voids the warranty, then they will deny the claim. We typically requested parts be returned to us for analysis so we can verify it is an approved part and see if it was modified. Or in the OP's case, they often send field techs to review the vehicle before paying out the claim since the cost is so high.

If the OEM bills a supplier and the supplier say it's a design issue or installation issue at the factory that isn't their responsibility, they can deny the claim as well. For example, if the returned part shows signs of damage indicating that it was installed with improper tools, or the dealer comments that the part wasn't screwed in/clipped in properly. Then it's up to the OEM to either prove that the supplier is at fault or fix the issue with other measures. The supplier then does a chargeback for all incurred expenses due to the claim.

Ultimately the suppliers get the worst end of the deal. it's guilty until proven innocent at that point. And especially frustrating when engineers aren't cooperating or doing their due diligence in the investigation. A lot of times you can't tell if a part was damaged during manufacturing, installation or removal. So you really rely on the dealer's wording to understand what happened. But an easy one is if we didn't see the right supplier code/part number on the part, it wasn't ours. and it's the OEM's responsibility to chase the right one. that was rare, but it happened.

In the case of the filter example, you can't always tell (especially if the part was destroyed during the failure). But virtually every OEM part drawing includes an area for an OEM part number and/or some marking indicating compatibility. If, for example, an intake manifold was returned with no markings then we'd know it's not approved. But if it is sold under the OEM part number like what you see on ECS, RockAuto, etc., then it is approved.

The reason why some dealers are "mod-friendly" is because they're not stupid. They know they will get paid for service as long as they don't put in the service writeup that they replaced parts on a modified car. And usually those are the dealers that are honest about what caused the repair because they actually check into what happened and find the root cause of the issue.
This makes sense in the case of the OEM using the supplier's parts and re-branding it as the vehicle manufacturer's parts. It seems like your experience involves working at/for an actual vehicle manufacturer supplier dealing with parts returned under a new car warranty.

Also, I wouldn't trust all the parts listed on ECS, RockAuto, etc. as truly having an equivalency with a BMW part number.

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog/...il+filter,5340

You're telling me you're going to trust Ultra-Power, Champion Labs, EcoGuard, [insert whatever other off-brand $2-4 filter] as being equivalent. I'm not confident BMW certified all of those to be equivalent and if they did, where's the proof other than that particular aftermarket supplier claiming it's equivalent. It's on you to prove the part is equivalent.

I would, however, trust Mann because I've seen Genuine BMW branded oil filters have "Mann" stamped on them as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kern417 View Post
Yep. Like I said, all the facts are there and have been presented. Standard warranty claims are never based on labor and parts. Whoever owns the failed part/process, owns the labor to repair too. That's the primary reason why special tools are designed. It reduces warranty spend by reducing time to replace components that fail often. Making it easier for a technicians is just an additional benefit.

But it's up to the other commenters whether they feel like believing that or not. The OEMs still know they have the upper hand in making that call and no doubt it can be difficult to have them uphold what's right. But that doesn't make what they're doing, right. Like in the OP's case, just looking at anything attached to the engine and claiming it caused it to blow up is very, very wrong.
I don't think you watched the video that F32Fleet posted.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F32Fleet View Post
scroll to 14:30 to get to the meat.

Transcription: "If it turns out that the aftermarket or recycled part was itself defective or wasn't installed correctly and it causes damage to another part that's covered under the warranty the manufacturer a dealer has the right to deny coverage for that part and charge you for the repairs."

This is precisely the point we were making and the video seems to support that.
Appreciate 0