View Single Post
      03-14-2015, 08:47 AM   #76
roxxor
Major
Rep
Drives: 2024 iX50

Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
Wow... i had no idea. Sorry to hear about all the issues, but all this is definitely over my head. Hope you find the answers you're looking for.. I'm kinda leaning away from doing the surround view setup since it seems pretty complicated. That plus the fact that each camera is about $350 a piece, putting the camera costs alone over $1k

This Nice job on the drilling. Super clean and OEM look for sure! I'll be thrilled if mine comes close to being as clean as yours. And thanks for the detailed info here covering a lot of the gotcha's. SOOO helpful.. you have no idea. Some questions:
  1. Do you remember what step level you went to with the drill bit before you stopped? I recall reading somewhere that these sensors are 18mm or that they required 18mm (0.70866 inch) holes. Not sure where i read that. But this would be is a tad smaller than 3/4". I was actually looking to get a metric step drill bit to do this work because i wanted them perfect. Being that you punched perfect holes with a standard step-drill bit, i was just curious what hole size you ended up with? Because they DO look perfect.
  2. How is the 3m tape used in this situation? Seems the rubber decoupling ring that acts as a grommet to hold the sensor in place against the hole is enough to keep them in place...
To your questions squid:
1. On the Rear PDC they are an 18mm hole. If you have the M-Sport front bumper, the two inner sensors require a 30mm hole to accommodate the brackets. Otherwise, the front are 18mm as well.

2. The 3m tape he is referring to is on the brackets for the PDC sensors. They line up on the backside of the bumper and attached by the 3m tape. The PDC sensors then clip into the brackets.

Also, if you eBay hunt, you can get the cameras for way less than $350 each.

I am excited at all the comments/posts on this thread and glad to see it has helped so many!!
Appreciate 0