06-02-2021, 05:36 PM   #15
optimaxed
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by TouringM3 View Post
I'll be making all of the (slight) structural updates to the F31 to be as identical to a F8x as possible.

The vast majority of the unibody is identical. Clearly the panoramic roof and tailgate areas are different

I'll be welding on 4 points of reinforcement up front for the subframe and strut tower bracing, and adding a couple of additional holes for the strut bar where it anchors way back on the outside of the firewall, basically by the side mirrors.

The rest of the reinforcement and bracing is on the underside of the car, from the large chassis stabilizing belly pan, to the rear / side driveline triangulation stabilizers. And they all bolt right up!

I'll probably do one full dedicated episode to the differences in each chassis while they're both stripped, and show what it takes to reinforce the F31 in the same way as the F8x came from the factory.

I could NOT do this without the insight and coaching from 63NP, Kam (F81_Project) and my mechanic buddy Ryan at Dynasport. I'd have no clue about half of this shit!
Any updates on this great build ?
Appreciate 0