View Single Post
      04-10-2012, 09:58 PM   #28
WULFFZA
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i MSport / 2012 X5 35d

Entirely my speculation, but since the F10 wagon is not making it stateside I am thinking that perhaps they will throw the niche wagon market buyers a bone and offer more engine and spec options on the F30 wagon. The explanation given time and again by BMW NA execs as to why we don't get the cool euro options like a 1 series 5 door, certain spec options, a diesel wagon etc., due to the cost of safety testing and that due to the lack of a world emissions standard. The cost of getting a specific engine approved for sale the he USA kills the economics of offering it.

But if you are already safety testing the body, and already offer the engine, what is the obstacle to offering different combinations? We know an F30 wagon is coming to the US and there was a recent quote by a BMW NA exec that a diesel 3 series will continue to be offered, though the exact engine is yet to be finalized. So, why not offer that diesel and 35i engine in everything you make- X1, X3, 3 series wagon, 5 series. Even if certain models are not that profitable, its not like you are struggling in the finances, each month as been better than the last. BMW is making money, give something back to your loyal family.
Appreciate 0