06-07-2021, 12:33 PM   #57
Z K
Major General
Rep
Drives: E90 M3, G20 M340i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaWeeknd View Post
Hey Gang this is what i asked Liqui Moly and their reply for N20 Oil types

"Hi there, im in need of some help from you guys with the correct specifications and proper oil for my 2016 BMW 328i XDrive (Hood says 0w-20) 33,000 KMS From my manual: "When selecting an engine oil, ensure that the engine oil belongs to one of the viscosity grades SAE 0W-40, SAE 0W-30, SAE 5W-40, and SAE 5W-30 or malfunctions or engine damage may occur." Currently in the Car is I believe 0W-20 BMW Oil and is due for its last scheduled Dealer Oil changed Based on this information, i live in Quebec Canada.... Our winters last from November to April/May so better part of 6-7 months with temperature ranging from - 5 to -40 degrees celsius at times Which Liqui Moly oils can I use and select from your range and why? and what would be best suited??"

REPLIED:

Thank you for contacting me regarding which engine oil to use. Confusing subject for sure and BMW did make it any easier by using different engine for the same models in the same year. Most likely your 328xDrive is equipped with the N20 engine and I base that on you mentioning the sticker under the hood. If this is true then that engine calls for a BMW Longlife-17 FE + engine oil specification which would be our Top Tec 6600 0W20 oil.
If the engine installed is instead the N26 then it calls for a different oil specification named BMW Longlife-01 FE which is a higher viscosity and the oil we offer is named Special Tec B FE 5W30.
Both of the oils mentioned are officially approved by BMW according to each specification so they will cover your car even in warranty. However, please find out which engine so that the correct engine oil will be used.
The climate you’re in does not affect the oil choice in any of these cases and is redundant since these engine are only allowed to use the specified oil.

Stefan Braun (Liqui Moly) N-A Rep
That doesn't make any sense as N26 is just N20 with added emissions equipment. The engine is the same and oil requirement should be the same. Also, N26 from 2016 and up also says 0w20 for motor oil on the sticker under the hood.