04-03-2012, 12:55 PM   #11
Feanor
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d Luxury 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuttlegoose View Post
^^^

So you think changing the oil after the break in period isn't a good idea?
Talk about putting words into my mouth!! Of course it's not going to do any harm - did you miss the bit where I said that I won't bother unless I get a car that I plan on keeping for 150,000+ miles? In other words, I WOULD bother if I wanted to keep the car that long; in that scenario, it would be a wise precaution, perhaps even a good idea.

I still think it's unecessary for most owners tho. These threads pop up constantly and cause people unecessary worry IMO. Changing the oil early on might help the car last 300,000 miles instead of 200,000 - I don't know. But nor do I particularly care, as I won't have the car that long, and anyway something else expensive is anyway likely to brake on the car making it uneconomical to repair long before the engine goes.

But each to his own. If you want to do it for a car you'll only keep a few years then that's up to you, I'm not saying it's a silly thing to do. All I ask is that people keep things in perspective. As I said BMW wouldn't recommend not changing the oil until 18-20k miles if leaving it that long might damage the engine in any way.

Last edited by Feanor; 04-03-2012 at 05:33 PM..
Appreciate 0