View Single Post
      11-22-2020, 03:24 AM   #49
Alt
Registered
Rep
Drives: F30 328i

Hi all, just wanted to share my experience in resolving the knocking noise and hopefully helping any other people experiencing the same issue.

Symptoms:
- Knocking noise when turning steering wheel left/right past around half a rotation
- Looser steering feel, especially in the centre of the steering wheel. Feels like there is less resistance compared to normal especially in sport mode.

Solution:
- I bought the BMW steering rack repair kit 32106891974 from BMW North Shore for $87. I didn't manage to get a quote for installation as they wanted to force me to get the vehicle checked/diagnosed first, which would cost $264/hr and would be a complete waste of time and money for a problem I already knew the solution to.
- I was quoted $540 by BMW Canterbury to install the repair kit (excluding repair kit cost since I already purchased it). They installed it earlier this week.

Results:
- Knocking sound is completely gone
- Steering feel has tightened up and has mostly gone back to normal

Active Power Steering also performs the repair, was quoted ~$500 for labour (excluding repair kit part) but location wasn't convenient for me.
Appreciate 1
MY340i713.50