12-12-2012, 07:19 PM   #176
claykin
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: various BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdong View Post
I'll weigh in on this too -- I live in California where the sun beating down makes AC mandatory. I've also spent a good deal of time lately sitting in my parked car familiarizing myself with the nav. With the AC on, the car will idle for a minute or two to charge to 25%, and then shut off and drain to 10% over the course of 5 or so minutes, and repeat this cycle.

If you're in Eco Pro mode, the discharge rate is much much slower, but you can feel the cabin temperate cycle a few degrees warmer and cooler of your set temperature.

Either mode is a huge win over non-hybrid start-stop and I guess you can choose whether you want to save a few drops of fuel at the expense of feeling slightly warm while stopped. I love turning off the radio when I'm stopped to bask in the silence of this car!
If BMW is really cycling the LiOn batteries down to 10% then lifespan will be reduced. LiOn batteries actually prefer to stay charged. Life is longer when they are charged before being depleted. Very different than NiCd and NiMH.
Appreciate 0