View Single Post
      03-22-2019, 09:58 PM   #35
340ix17
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '17 340i xdrive w/ MPPSK, BM3

Quote:
Originally Posted by e90bs View Post
Never was resolved, I'm not sure what to do as well, I'm probably going to get a catless downpipe, as I have my HD FMIC, chargepipe, and BM3 tune, just need the DP. I'll probably end up swapping DPs before each inspection unless some can shed some light or info to if we need to whether with a catless or catted.
I got tired of getting conflicting answers on this from a variety of people and even reputable tuners in MA. I ended up breaking down and just purchasing the MPPSK from the dealer, figuring if I ended up paying 1-1.5k for a catted DP, plus installation, and then had to still worry about potentially having to remove the DP annually, it was worth the added cost for the piece of mind and warranty the MPPSK brings.

That said, my own understanding is that as long as you meet the following requirements, you will pass even with a catless DP (unless you get a real stickler/PITA shop performing the inspection):

1.) No CEL's either showing on the dash or hidden (if blocked by an aftermarket tune - i.e. JB4 or otherwise)

2.) Successfully completed drive cycle (showing readiness for the required readings)- presumably with standard tune, or at the very least a tune that will not block certain readings for readiness

I've read stories of people who have passed in MA with catless DP's using sparkplug non foulers.

I have also read stories of people who are able to pass because they run the catted DP and are able to run these without an aftermarket tune due, and without throwing a CEL.

Yet the catted DP's, they will go on to tell you, always end up eventually throwing CEL's as they wear out, meaning you've spent almost $1k more to be stuck in the same position as those with catless DP's afterall...

It is always a risk, and it appears the laws keep getting more stringent around this stuff. If you're going with a catted DP, I strongly recommend knowing what the current drive cycle involves for 'readiness', and doing test runs to see whether you are able to complete this without drawing a CEL. Also suggest picking up the non-foulers that others have referenced and reviewed in this forum.
Appreciate 0