f30hobbes
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i 6MT

Garage List
2014 BMW 335i  [8.50]
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjd_F30 View Post
The 6MT in the F30 is definitely not the most robust unit, but there are plenty of 6MT cars with 120k+ miles with no issues. Then there are cars that need a new trans at 50k miles. Seems to be luck of the draw. My transmission lost reverse around 85k miles, but I never had problems with any forward gears. Thankfully my car has an extended warranty that covered 90% of the cost of a replacement reman transmission. Since getting it replaced, I (probably unnecessarily) double clutch up shifts until the car is warmed up to give the synchros a break, and it gives me some peace of mind that I'm being nice to the car. That said, I 100% never regretted or will regret getting the manual, even given the decreased dependability compared to the 8AT. It's just so much more fun than an auto.

To answer your question, just because it doesn't have synchro issues now doesn't mean it won't develop them in the future. If you're worried about it, buy the car, change the fluid ASAP, and treat it nicely. Chances are you'll be fine.
Thanks for the reply! If you don't mind me asking what warranty company did you go with? And do you use the redline transmission fluid? Also I may sound like a real newbie here but what is a double clutch upshift? The car should be arriving from another carmax store in about a week and I am really excited, really hoping there are no shifting issues.
Appreciate 0