View Single Post
      10-08-2019, 12:12 AM   #53
gangzoom
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: E90 335i M sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by JD6 View Post
Having driven a few, including a Model S, there is always an ICE car which I would prefer at the price. I would take an M5 over a Model S by a huge margin for example.
If I hadn't been bitten by the EV bug I would almost certainly be in a F10 M5. But these days I have no interest in even cars like the M5. Upto legal speeds, pretty much any half decent EV is more than quick enough for public roads, and in traffic jams EVs are simply so much nicer to be in - and be honest most of us spend more time in traffic jams than haring around on B roads. Add in 20mpg, £500 VED, 'M' tax servicing and the running cost differential for the same performance is just nuts. Including tyres our sub 5 second to 60, 2.5to + 6 seater SUV has cost us 5p per mile in running costs.

The biggest problem for EVs is still price, if your actually thinking of buying something like a M5 it's actually easier to justify the high initial purchase cost of an EV. I was budgeting around £50k+ for a used M5, so paying £70k for a brand new EV with cheaper running costs wasn't that difficult man maths. Infact SWMBO demanded and contributed to the EV purchase!!!

However as hard as I try I cannot make the figures work on something like a Model 3 for my wife. Her currently car only gets used for commuting, and even though we bought it new latest WBAC figures show its only deprecating at £330/month. So a change to a Model 3 would be far more expensive, even the fuel cost savings dont help. She only does 5k a year, at 10p per mile on fuel (50mpg), that's only £500/year in fuel. The £340/year VED tax alone on the Model 3 nearly wipes out any fuel saving costs!!

My experience is that if your looking at replacing your main family car with a fast, comfortable machine, and have a budget of £50k+ an EV is almost a no brainer. Try to justify an EV purely based on local run around budget and your better off sticking to a reliable cheaper combustion car.
Appreciate 0