View Single Post
      05-24-2015, 05:54 AM   #1
hrvojehk
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW F30 320d

DIY: F30 Surround view retrofit

NOTE: Like any DIY project, proceed at your own risk. I am not responsible for anything that happens to your vehicle as a result of attempting this retrofit. This information is simply posted as a reference to help others who may wish to do this project on their own.

Surround view retrofit requires rear PDC and reversing camera to be pre-installed. I didn't have the reversing camera pre-installed so that was my first step. Control unit must be installed in the original location (not in the trunk).

I think the reversing camera retrofit is described pretty well in the other DIY so I will not focus on it.

Part list:

Common parts:
  • 66539302258 Surround view control unit
  • 61119281258 Surround view HSD
  • 66539232797 Bracket, control unit (Not needed if rear view camera is already installed)
  • ------------- Control unit wiring harness (Power, CAN, FBAS) (Not needed if rear view camera is already installed)
  • 07149158182 Fillister head screw with collar (Not needed if rear view camera is already installed)

Rear view camera retrofit:
  • 66539240351 Backup Camera
  • 51247368753 Trunk/Handle mount for camera
  • 61119309154 Part of the HSD harness

Side view retrofit:
  • 07149166316 Fillister head screw x 4
  • 61319252913 Switch (Not universal)
  • 51117324343 Bumper repair kit (camera holders)
  • 83192317925 Adhesive set K6 (optional)
  • 66539240352 Camera x 2

Top view retrofit:
  • 61129259992 Door wiring harness right (Not universal)
  • 61129259975 Door wiring harness left (Not universal)
  • 51167345706 Mirror Right (Not universal)
  • 51167345705 Mirror Left (Not universal)

Misc:
  • Butyl rope (optional)
  • Cable ties
  • Adhesive cloth tape
  • 18mm drill

I hope I didn't forget anything.

Please note that some parts are vehicle dependent.

HSD wiring harness (61119281258)

61119281258 contains 5 HSD cables and CAN wires:
  1. Left Side-view HSD cable
  2. Right Side-view HSD cable
  3. Part of the left Top view HSD cable. From the control unit to the connector marked on the image below. Additional HSD cable in the left door is required. That's why I had to buy 61129259975.
  4. Part of the right Top view HSD cable. From the control unit to the connector marked on the image below. Additional HSD cable in the right door is required. That's why I had to buy 61129259992.
  5. Part of the reversing camera HSD cable. Reversing camera HSD contains 2 parts. Fist part (61119309154) goes from the camera in the trunk to the right back seat. The second cable goes from the right back seat to the control unit (included in 61119281258).

Retrofit price:
I wasn't in a hurry to do the retrofit, so I was waiting for good eBay deals to buy the parts.
Some parts (read HSD cables) were impossible to buy on eBay.
The total cost for the whole retrofit (including reversing camera) was ~1300€.

Installation steps:

Disconnect the negative terminal of the battery!!!

Install Rheingold. Get familiar with it. This will save you a lot of trouble.
Also, detailed installation instructions can be found there.

Top view:
  • Remove the door trim. There is a youtube video from BAVSOUND where is explained how to remove the door trim, it's really helpful.
  • Remove the sound insulation:
  • Replace left and right door wiring harness.
  • Replace left and right side view mirrors.
  • Remove trim panel for pedal mechanism.
  • Remove instrument panel trim, bottom right.
  • Route the cable from the control unit to the door connector.
  • The easiest way to route the cables from the driver's to the passenger's side is shown on the image below:
  • The same way is routed cable for the right Side-view camera.
  • Rheingold says that refitting sound insulation requires additional butyl rope to be applied. I skipped that part because the existing butyl sealed perfectly.

The tricky part was how to connect the right top view cable to the right door connector. I'm referring to the connector below:

There was no enough room for my hand to plug the HSD connector to the dedicated location in the door connector.
I could remove FEM and other parts from the lower right A pillar but I didn't want to do that.
I've used two female jumper wires to lead the HSD cable:

First, I've removed plastic housing from the female pins of the jumper wires.
Then I run them from the outside of the connector through the dedicated HSD hole to the cabin interior.
When I got those 2 female jumper wires inside the cabin I've connected it to the HSD pins and slowly and carefully pulled it out.
Note that you need to hear "click" when the HSD connector is properly connected to the door connector.

Side view:
  • Remove front bumper (DIY can be found on the forum)
  • Use K6 Adhesive set to fasten the camera holders. (Optional)
  • Drill the firewall on the left and the right side (Carefully!!).
  • Route the side-view cables. More details can be found in Rheingold (Installing repair cable for left Side View camera)
  • Install center console switch

As I stated before, Rheingold provides detailed information about all retrofit steps mentioned in the DIY.

Coding:
VO code your car: Add 5DL (and 3AG if you are retrofitting the reversing camera as well).

Enjoy

UPDATE:
roxxor posted an excellent alternative (and probably a bit cheaper) write up:
http://f30.bimmerpost.com/forums/sho...0&postcount=39

Last edited by hrvojehk; 01-10-2016 at 12:59 PM..
Appreciate 12
rjwojcik281.50
jdr78569180.00
Soul_Glo13347.00
david51537.50