View Single Post
      04-19-2021, 05:06 AM   #10
negendahl
Denmark
Rep
Drives: 2015, F31 320D

Yeah, youre right - its not worth risking the diff og transmission ect. (im getting a transmission oil flush tomorrow at the BMW service (dealer), they will use OEM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I didn't say that the "dealer knows best". Dealers mostly parrot BMW's Lifetime Fluid claims, something designed to get BMW to the end of their legal liability. BMW Corporate bean counters could care less if our cars last past the warranty. They are in the business to sell us new cars.

I rarely buy anything from a dealer. But I do buy genuine BMW parts when necessary at a discount from retailers like FCP Euro.

I'm more concerned that I use the fluid that the engineers who designed the component specified. That's why I use ZF fluid in my ZF designed and manufactured transmission.

Sure people use aftermarket fluids with no problem. But there are also horror stories about aftermarket fluids having negative results. IMO I don't see any upside to risking a really expensive transmission, differential, Limited Slip Differential or Transfer Case based on aftermarket fluid marketing claims, or trying to save what is a negligible amount of money compared to the replacement cost of the component that it's protecting.
Appreciate 0