johnung
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by negendahl View Post
Yeah, youre right - its not worth risking the diff og transmission ect. (im getting a transmission oil flush tomorrow at the BMW service (dealer), they will use OEM)

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnung View Post
I didn't say that the "dealer knows best". Dealers mostly parrot BMW's Lifetime Fluid claims, something designed to get BMW to the end of their legal liability. BMW Corporate bean counters could care less if our cars last past the warranty. They are in the business to sell us new cars.

I rarely buy anything from a dealer. But I do buy genuine BMW parts when necessary at a discount from retailers like FCP Euro.

I'm more concerned that I use the fluid that the engineers who designed the component specified. That's why I use ZF fluid in my ZF designed and manufactured transmission.

Sure people use aftermarket fluids with no problem. But there are also horror stories about aftermarket fluids having negative results. IMO I don't see any upside to risking a really expensive transmission, differential, Limited Slip Differential or Transfer Case based on aftermarket fluid marketing claims, or trying to save what is a negligible amount of money compared to the replacement cost of the component that it's protecting.
Do you mean transmission? I thought you were discussing your rear differential fluid? That's a simple suction through the filler hole and refill.

You would probably get a much lower price through a local BMW independent mechanic.

The automatic transmission service is a special procedure with a complete replacement of fluid, pan with its built-in filter, and pan bolts. The ZF Service Kit costs under $300. Genuine BMW kit might be 2x that.
Appreciate 0