Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 BMW 335i x-Drive Auto

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by manoj517 View Post
Hello,

I'm new to this forum (in fact new to BMW :P). My first experience with a bmw is on an M4 when I rented it for a weekend as a birthday present to myself. That is when I feel in love with bwm and dreamed of owning one. I currently own a 2016 maxima and looking for a change. I started searching for a used bwm and found 2 cars that I like one is 2016 340i with 44k miles and 2015 435i (M package) with 56k miles priced at $25000 and $24000 respectively. Though I really like the styling of the coupe, I'm hesitant to consider it over the 340i because of the high mileage compared to 340i. I need your help in deciding between these two cars. If I pull the trigger and buy 435i is there anything that I need to look out for. I heard bwm needs a major service every 30k miles, if yes what would that cost me as the coupe is almost due a major service. Any maintenance cost comparison on both cars is much appreciated.

BTW, they both are 6-speed manual's.

340I: https://www.deluxeautosales.com/used...281609f798.htm

435I: https://www.norrisford.com/used/BMW/...earchDepth=1:1

Thanks!!
You already got some great advice from multiple forum members. Just chiming in to reassure you that you are doing all of the right things in your evaluation. 3-series vs 4-series is a personal preference or family/utility preference. N55 and B58 engine's are both strong and reliable. The fact that you currently drive a 2016 leads me to assume that you keep cars 2-3 years.

So I'd tend to tell you to just drive both and choose the one that you will enjoy driving for the next couple of years. Unlike many cars, BMW's are often chosen because they are so damn much fun to drive, like you expressed after driving the M4!

A BMW dealer friend told me that regular oil changes are most important with these high tech engines. He gets beautiful looking leased BMWs turned in without ever having an oil change, even though it was included in the lease of the car for free!!! They dish it off to second rate used car dealers to get rid of it. If either of these two cars doesn't have PROOF of regular oil changes then assume that oil changes weren't done and walk away from that particular car!

There isn't really a big 30k mile maintenance but at 60k miles they usually need spark plugs and coils. Based on time, they both may need a battery soon which can be $300-$350 since programming is involved too. Brake fluid replacement is every two years for safety so see if that was ever done.

Dealer maintenance for both parts and labor can be absurdly high. Check BimmerShops website to see what independent BMW shops may be in your area. Watch what parts they use though. The ones that use dealer parts will be high cost jobs and ones that use cheap junk parts will be substandard jobs. I tend to choose my parts carefully, but them and take them to my Indy to install. You can make some great improvements by choosing some excellent parts (that are often cheaper than dealer parts) when maintenance items come due for replacement such as tires, brakes, shocks, air filter, cabin filter, etc You can read up on that stuff on this forum.

Good luck! Hope this helps!
Appreciate 0