View Single Post
      08-05-2020, 11:29 PM   #9
greyf36
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: Grey F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by cray101 View Post
I rattle can'd some M Sport side skirts on my non M Sport 328 just this past weekend. To echo what others have stated, prep is key. I just used a scuff pad as opposed to sandpaper to rough them up, rinsed with water and cleaned with an APC. I can recommend https://www.automotivetouchup.com for a good paint mix, if you dont mind spending the money for the proper color match. Their paint matched pretty darn good (Glacier Silver Metallic). The most difficult part for me, was getting a good high gloss finish. The skirts came out looking a bit matte in comparison to the rest of the car. I think the key to higher gloss finish is more light coats versus fewer medium coats.

yeah you are exactly right....this is why i've told myself not to "rattle can" anything again...i got some on that site as well and the project ended up being about what it'd cost to have a local shop do the job (considering you need paint/primer/clear + a few other tools/materials)

and like you said, you can never achieve the same glossy finish with that type of clear coat
Appreciate 0