View Single Post
      08-06-2020, 03:31 PM   #30
eugene89us
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 328d

Wanted to share my results using Mishimoto's compact baffled oil catch can. Unlike the larger size that FaRKle! used, the compact one has a smaller bracket and requires DIY bracket to offset it so that it clears the electrical connector below. I purchased a metal shelf bracket at Home Depot, then used my angle grinder to cut it and metal brake to bend it. Turned out okay. I like the brackets Mishimoto has for M3 vehicles, if they offered a slightly modified bracket with larger front to back offset, we could use it on ours. I am working on proof of concept bracket to attach to 2 screws near the latching mechanism and having the can hang where it is now. Will see if that works. For now, current bracket does a decent job. I used EPDM membrane to sandwich between bracket and the weld joint to protect the paint and to create a connection that is less likely to slip over time.

Overall, exceptional guide here, with Farkle!'s video and his recommendations making the job fairly easy. I would suggest going ahead and taking intake pipe off that attaches to turbo, since it is easier to cut the ring off on a table instead of it still attached to the car. The mechanism to remove the PCV heater off the pipe is complex, I was only able to do it with intake pipe out and on my dining table. All that requires is removing one bolt that supports it and pulling the clip out that holds it to the turbo. Reinstall was also quite easy, as it just snapped in place.

Overall, over first 500 miles, I only collected oil on the catch can walls, not enough to pool yet. Most sources say better catching efficiency in winter time due to easier condensation when cold. Wish there were a way to keep it cool in the summer to help condense the oil vapors as the entire can heats up nicely over time.

By the way, would suggest getting catch can from Mishimoto directly, Amazon has older design with 2 screws attaching the bracket. This results in the side with pipe openings to droop. The new design has 3 screws which support better. Not sure how Mishimoto compact compares to regular size vs. Burger's version in terms of oil catching. This one fits well. The only complaint is that I wish the pipe inlet and outlet were parallel instead of being offset 45 degrees. But it still worked out fine.
Attached Images

Last edited by eugene89us; 08-06-2020 at 03:38 PM..
Appreciate 1
FaRKle!4037.50