View Single Post
      12-01-2021, 10:44 AM   #1
Jvac
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i rwd

Update for anyone who cares: this turned out to be an oil pan gasket leak. Fixed over a year ago and no issues since. I'm still amazed by how far and wide oil was slung around the engine bay which made it hard to pinpoint. For anyone chasing leaks that aren't super fast, keep cleaning up the mess and looking closely for new leakage. You will eventually pinpoint the source.

Hi gang,
I believe I have a leak at one of the oil lines on the front of the turbocharger on my 335. It started small but has increased lately so I'm looking at options to repair. Given the amount (and cost) of labor involved just to get hands on the turbo and put the car all back together afterwards , I came here to ask around. Those of you who have done turbo swaps or repairs yourselves, did you have to hoist the engine? My Bentley manual says "support engine at top" as step #1 in the turbo removal procedure but does not give details, instead referring to another section that doesn't exist. I'm guessing they want me to lower the front subframe which does require supporting the engine from above.
I'd consider doing a diy if I can be sure this is the cause. I'm going to take the car to a local indy shop tomorrow to have a dye test done which will hopefully confirm. Any comments or advice is appreciated. I took some pics when I was under the car but I don't think they're very good given the lighting. I will upload soon.
Thanks