View Single Post
      10-14-2019, 03:43 AM   #24
Skyhigh
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: BMW F36

Quote:
Originally Posted by B1ue52 View Post
A coating (when I say coating, I am referring to a chemically bonded nano coating that could be ceramic, liquid quartz etc) is applied to protect your car from all of the above, but in addition will make it considerably more scratch resistant.
Could you elaborate on the above? Any reference to physical, mechanical tests supporting that?

While in theory any layer of any substance is a physical barrier (on a micro level), I personally do not believe coatings can, in any meaningful way, increase the scratch resistance of the paintjob. They may best case help delay the visible effect of say swirls from automatic car washers, but we, the detailing enthusiasts who apply waxes and protective coats don't use automatic brush washers, do we?
After all, we are talking about a coating with a few NANOmeters thickness.
But hey - looking forward to some empirical data, I may be wrong.

Quote:
Sealants on the other hand do provide good, if very temporary (around a month) hydrophobic properties and gloss enhancement but not really any better than a traditional carnauba wax (when I say wax I mean a hard/paste wax in a tub, not a liquid wax) – Indeed there are some waxes out there that will genuinely last for around a year, but they are incredibly expensive at around £1000 per tub.
Can't agree with that. Plenty of sealants out there advertised with a durability of up to 6-12 months. Even if that is just marketing, the durability is way longer than 1 month.

Same with wax - meet Soft 99 Fusso Coat - a wax which has been proven (by customers) to in fact last up to 1 year and costs not 1000, but 20 GBP! The hydrophobic qualities are more or less best in class and much better than most coatings.

Apart from that - thank you for taking the time! The guide does provide some very useful tips and information which one normally needs a lot of time to collect from different sources.

Last edited by Skyhigh; 10-14-2019 at 04:19 AM..
Appreciate 0