View Single Post
      07-11-2018, 04:43 AM   #4
Frostbreath
Registered
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: 420i Gran Coupe (F36)

FAT32 is only working, which is ridiculous

Tried to play music through my 64GB USB-drive.
First, I tried NTFS with AAC files. The drive is recognised, but only about 5% of the tracks/artist/albums are recognised and are playable.
Second, I tried ExFat with Ogg Vorbis. The system plays Ogg files without a problem, but now less than 1% of the files etc are recognised. Instead of 5000 tracks I can only choose from around 100 tracks.
I went to the dealer to help me out, appears they are pretty useless on this. Didn't even know what Ogg Vorbis is.
So I formatted a 128GB MicroSD card with Fat32 and added 6000 songs (FLAC and MP3) to the drive. Now it works!

However, one needs to be pretty tech savvy to format a drive with over 32 GB as FAT32. Windows doesn't support it. I used a program called "guiformat.exe".

The same issue arises with the Navigation Update. The BMW download manager program asks for a FAT32 formatted drive. I tried a 32GB drive, but it was too small. So one can only update the navigation with a larger drive. But most people wouldn't know how to format such a drive with FAT32.

It becomes time that BMW supports ExFat or even better NTFS fully.
Appreciate 0