SQUEAKY
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by skoold2003 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Tremain View Post
Seems like the majority of you guys are using the Android side of things. For those of you who bought it for the CarPlay integration, what's your opinion? I'm debating whether to give this a spin or wait on another reputable company that's here on the boards to release their version of a CarPlay kit.
I only use it for CarPlay and it's pretty annoying. You can't use the steering wheel for music fwd/back or to invoke siri. Also you can't use the function buttons to change between CarPlay nav and music. The one positive is that they fixed a VERY annoying bug where you had to touch the screen to make CarPlay the default app for USB. Hopefully they will keep improving the usability issues!
I hook my through Bluetooth and control via steering wheel and dial in carplay. I can see that being an issue if you're using aux. You can invoke Siri through native BMW, just have to hold down the voice command longer. If not working then you might have to code it in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Tremain View Post
Thanks, I appreciate the review. I just ordered a kit today. Other than having a larger screen, CarPlay was my main focus. I'm anxious to see if any of the new CarPlay updates in iOS 12 work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CleanKM View Post
I use it for car play more so recently. No problems here, for that. If car play is your focus, then there are going to be tweaks that you'll have to do in order to get it to start up faster, load less applications, etc. For example, no need to load up wifi because you're going through your phone. No need to have all the Google crap loading in the background because again, you're going through your phone.

Overall the car play experience has been good, but the problem that you'll have isn't with carplay or how it all works, but the actual unit itself. It's as though each unit various greatly from each other. I had a gen 1 4.4.4 that would shit the bed every drive. They replaced it under warranty after some convincing to the gen 2 4.4.4 and it's been Rock solid.

Personally, if I were to do it all again I would if carplay was my end goal. This unit is in the same ball park as others that only do carplay. My $0.02
I have the iOS 12 Dev beta and no updates on carplay yet. Good luck!
Appreciate 0