View Single Post
      09-17-2014, 05:42 PM   #29
Presario
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i, 2016 435 GC

For me, I love what BBS wheels stand for. Their designs are timeless in my eyes and are the benchmark in which a lot of other wheel manufactures are compared to. I like knowing that BBS wheels are grounded in their motorsport heritage and that their wheels are over-engineered.

At the same time, because of all the aforementioned things, they are much slower at bringing new products and designs to market. As a result, their designs are oftentimes considered classics, which is not necessarily a bad thing. With the explosion of new wheel manufacturers out there, BBS wheels may not be as popular as they once were, but will always remain the gold standard in my eyes.

As for weight, 2 piece forged wheels are usually heavier because of the extra hardware needed to assemble the wheels. It's the same for all the forged wheel manufacturers out there. And a lot of times, they share the same forged face so some wheels have more pad (metal) on the back so that they can accommodate certain offsets and brake kits.

If you want the lightest and strongest wheels out there, get 1 piece forged wheels. But I'm a huge sucker for wheels with lips so I need multi-piece construction. I'm very happy with my 20 BBS LM setup. And they're lighter than my stock 19" 403M wheels by a few pounds so I'm very happy.