View Single Post
      09-18-2019, 07:29 PM   #32
ScubaSteve
Private
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i xDrive M Sport

Hey guys, came across this post and have been reading up and doing my homework regarding this issue. I had an oil change done at Kal Tire at the beginning of spring when I had my summer tires swapped over. I normally bring it to the local dealer but figured since I was already there why not get the oil changed done at the same time. Not sure if its a coincidence, but a couple of months later in started noticing oil spots where I park, and even one day while driving, I got a low oil alert and had to add a quart of oil. I went to an indy shop yesterday based on a recommendation and was given 3 separate quotes to replace both the gaskets, and the actual oil filter housing and the valve cover in CAD $. I asked them to give me 2 options, 1 with new parts and 2 just replacing the gaskets. Option 1 is about $2500 CAD parts, labour, and tax and option 2 is 1600$ CAD parts labour and tax. This is obviously a lot of coin and not a cost I really need right now, but that's besides the point.

I took my car to the local car wash and sprayed the engine bay down with some foam degreaser first and then a quick high pressure wash being careful not to spray a lot of the electrical connectors or my cold air intake which I covered up. With the engine bay washed and air dried a bit with an air gun, I drove home about 5 mins away and left the engine running and popped the hood and started looking for leaks with my work light. The VC looks good from what I can tell, the only real sign of oil before was some pooling in and around the black round cap where the filter goes in. As I was sitting there looking around I noticed a very small but steady leak coming out from under the oil filter cap and I'm wondering if they maybe didn't use a BMW oem filter or some cheap brand and the gasket has just failed? There is a fair amount of oil on the ground below my car and I'm wondering if this small leak would be enough to cause all this grief. I'll attach a pic or two, just wondering if anyone has any feedback on this. The car has 97k km on it.
Attached Images

Appreciate 0