09-25-2018, 09:45 PM   #90
rjd_F30
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by IssaF32 View Post
Buddy you keep talking about your vette and its annoying, These are not vettes, torque kills this motor and shitty tunes way before any of that will do anything to our motor.
The basic physics behind engines is typically generally applicable. Whether you gain knowledge of those physics (which are more or less what we're discussing here) by tuning a Corvette or an N2x is irrelevant.

That being said, he also kind of agreed with you: "So in that essence, torque is killing it." You saying torque kills motors is like saying fatness kills fat people. No, it's the fact that a human heart can't support 250lbs of extra weight. In the same way, yah, you could say torque kills these motors, but it's really the sudden onset of a lot of cylinder pressure at low rpms that kills the motor. This pressure subsequently generates torque, but the torque itself is not what's killing the motor.

In the same vein, you saying that a bigger turbo will make more boost is sorta true, but it's not really. On a log, you'll see more boost in the upper rpms, which can fool you into thinking it's making more boost, but that's only because the bigger turbo is remaining efficient where the stock one becomes inefficient.

ilivas also didn't flat out call anyone wrong, he just said he can't understand how a rod bolt could be damaged by a lot of low rpm torque, not that it doesn't happen.