View Single Post
      06-02-2016, 07:12 AM   #61
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skald View Post
Tourings are so common in my country, that the streets are flooded with them. You can laugh all you want, I bought my GT for the looks also not just the practicality. Anyone who doubts that this car serves no purpose is just delusional. I drove 12k kms in the last 2 months with this car because I travel a lot and I can tell you, if a car was made for long trips then it's the GT. 4 GC is a beautiful car and yes it's kind of a hatchback, anyway you can't compare them when it comes to backseat and headroom space. The majority thinks niche is a bad thing, when it comes to individual needs it's totally the opposite. In many opinions here, it seems that if you need something different you are just a complete moron - Well at least I'm a satisfied moron without any randomly directed rage. I'm quite sure many haters here haven't even observed a 3 gt in real life.
Similar thinking, the 3GT is certainly an alternative to us touring 'wagon' users. I'm in a 5-series wagon but the 3GT was definitely a car to cross compare. Something 'different' was a serious reason to consider it, plus practical, spacious, smaller platform.

Part of the negative perception has to be the use of tourings and hatches in Europe, compared to the US market. Personally I don't understand why wagons are not really wanted in the US. Does that influence the hate on the GT?

One thing I have noticed, the 3GT is very colour sensitive, something like mineral grey looks the part, IMO. Darker colours seem to suit it best.

I know the 2-series active tourer gets a similar negative press from BMW forums. Plenty of them around me, they clearly fit a market in a rural environment, where practicality comes high on the requirements list.
Appreciate 2