View Single Post
      11-11-2022, 10:49 AM   #15
ST808
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2017 430I

same coolant issue costly repair

Same coolant issues that turned into engine damage..didn't realize how quickly the the coolant was draining... long story short- I need a new engine.

I have a 2017 430I, first time owning a BMW, converted from Benz owner. Received a recall/factory repair letter a while back indicating a possible problem with collant injection line with this model and year and to come in and BMW will fix for free. I had no indication of low coolant.

Car has just under 48K miles. I had no indication of coolant leak until last week. When light came on, I remembered the letter and scheduled for the repair. Then I bought coolant, refilled the coolant over the weekend. I drove perhaps a total of 20 miles after refilling the coolant. Over the weekend, while running an errand -less than 10 miles car went into limp mode- saying high engine temp, overheating. I pulled over waited and then re-started the engine and went home. Following day drove to the dealership, Same thing happened. Dealership called said they saw the coolant injection line issue fixed it but the overheating caused engine damage and I would need a new engine with a qoute of 21k and they would not cover it as it was out of warranty. I called BMW USA and they denied coverage as well. It is shocking to me the price tag and BMW refusal to cover. The broken coolant line is the cause of my engine damage in my opinion. I am just at a loss as to next steps and thought this community would have some good suggestions. Thanks in advance.
Appreciate 0