04-04-2012, 12:52 PM   #40
Red Bread
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Smog machines

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feanor View Post
Then if you plan on keeping your F30 for the same amount of time changing the oil early makes a lot of sense to me .

What made you get rid of your M Coupe if you don't mind me asking? Were you just bored with it, or was it getting a bit soft, or was it suffering from too many problems?

I'm really curious to know how long cars usually last when well looked after as I'm convinced most people get rid of them when they still have plenty of life left; even the cars value drops so low that repairs cost more than its value, those repairs can still cost less than the depreciation of replacing the car.
I sold the M Coupe for a number of reasons, the largest one being that we'd like a "real" car to go along with the 1er. I work a couple of miles from home and either ride my bike or take the light rail, so I rarely needed the M Coupe.

It had a few rattles, but I'd kept up with it, tracked it plenty, been good about changing fluids, filters and such the whole time, etc. It was a bullet proof little thing, tons of fun to drive and relatively cheap to maintain, with no surprises, ever.

I don't enjoy the 1er nearly as much, the flat torque curve just is dull in comparison, and it's really faster than a daily driver really needs to be plus the lack of an LSD and the stock suspension make for sloppy handling. Plus it's had a good number of warranty repairs that make me a little hesitant to keep it past the warranty. We may sell it and get an F30 or F31 for my wife and I may either stay sans car, or get something like the BRZ, or try to track down a Boxster Spyder. I really haven't decided.
Appreciate 0