View Single Post
      01-08-2013, 06:14 PM   #34
mrunner
Private
Rep
Drives: F30

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath View Post
there's a lot of personal opinion here, so here's mine.

The 335i can't compete with the S4 because the price difference is nearly $8k (335xi M Sport vs. S4).

With that in mind, I think a 335xi M Sport does remarkably well against an S4.

The M3 and RS4 are the competitors for sure, but it's difficult to compare because their power delivery strategies are entirely different (RWD vs. AWD, respectively).

Interesting I'm coming across this today, since the past few days I've been watching video reviews and online reviews about these cars, and I have beef too.

From my previous outsider perspective, before coming to read about BMW on an enthousist board, and based on marketing, BMW website, seeing the cars on the road, the 335i is to me a 328i with a bigger engine, maybe some options or standard features not available on 328i. Stuff like different wheels, or different colors, colored stitching...big deal right?! M3 is the mega 3-series, yes?

On the other hand for my audi perspective, the S4 is its' mega car. The car that Audi puts up against the M3. M..something, or S...something, are the mega cars, 320, 325, 328, 335 are just the next notch up in engine size, like 1.8T, 2.0T, 3.0, 3.2 etc.. for Audi.

So yes, from an outsider, casual observer, the S marketing would lead to believe that it does compete with the M, that S is a special designation, and is Audi's answer to M. So that's how I would pit them based on badge, and where they rank within the resepctive compaies series. And other casual observers would probably see it the same way too.

What is bugging from reading reviews or videos, is that I have a hard time accepting that an AWD car is to be compared to a RWD car. Not in the aspect that RWD is better or worse, or that AWD is better or worse. Not like that at all. But in how can 2 different things be compared. Maybe a 335 xdrive can be compared to an S4. Now you would have a real technical comparison. You would be comparing cars in the same category, power, drive train etc...

This leads me to say that Audi really does not have anything that can technically be compared to the M3.....or a 335i, or 328i, or even 320i. But they can compare a FWD Audi to a Mini.
Appreciate 0