fuse27
Driver
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M2 Competition

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jh_f30 View Post
Oil filter housing gasket is a common weak point (along with the oil cooler gasket). Not too difficult if you want to take a crack at it yourself. Gaskets alone are only about $20-30. A handful of tools and a couple hours and you could save upwards of $1000. My local dealership quoted me around $1200, did it myself for under $100 all in.

VCG is substantially more complex. But with some research, still very DIY-able. Guess it comes down to your ability, willingness, and desire to do your own wrenching. If you do, you could trade some of your time to save about $2000.
Good to know. I researched VCG replacement, and with how involved and time consuming it is for an experienced tech, I think it's just outside of my comfort zone. I hadn't yet looked into what the oil gasket repair would take, but perhaps that's more my speed. I replaced the spark plugs in the B8 S4 I had prior to the F30, so I'm not completely inept. And saving myself $1k would definitely be worth it. Thanks for the suggestion.
Appreciate 0