View Single Post
      01-28-2015, 09:41 PM   #1
johnsimion
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 435i

Useless Automatic High Beams

I ordered my 435i with the package that combines LED headlamps and automatic high beams. The LED lights are good enough but the automatic high beams are really disappointing. I live within city limits, but it's a semi-rural area with huge lots and no street lights where high beams can almost always be used. The automatic feature for the high beams doesn't come on automatically -- you have to remember to turn it on. That's a stupid design feature, but I can live with that. What really irks me is that the automatic high beams are almost useless even when I do remember to turn them on, due to excessive sensitivity. They almost never let the lights go bright, and when they do, they'll dim for almost anything -- a porch light, a car two miles away, taillights a mile away, someone lighting a cigarette, just about any microscopic source of light is enough to negate the high beams (okay, I exaggerate a little but they will definitely dim for taillights that are a three blocks ahead, which is way more than necessary). I am a polite driver and I always dim my high beams when I'm even remotely close to someone, but these automatic high beams are 100 times more sensitive. At first I thought they weren't working at all -- it's that bad. As they are now, they are essentially a worthless option. Is there any way to reduce the sensitivity on these things?
Appreciate 0