06-21-2018, 11:37 AM   #62
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billfitz View Post
The Earthquake does offer a considerable improvement over the stock woofer provided it has enough power. The blue trace here shows the Earthquake SPL, the red trace the stock BMW woofer SPL, both in half-space in the same BMW enclosure. However, the Earthquake is driven with 150 watts, the BMW with 50 watts:

This chart shows them driven with the same 1.5v signal, and the stock BMW driver is the clear winner:

This points out the First Law of Acoustical Engineering: There's no such thing as a free lunch. Yes, you can make a driver that goes a lot lower than the stock BMW driver, but in return for going lower you lose broadband sensitivity. The Earthquake will work better than stock, but only if you upgrade the amp.
Interesting. When you say the second chart shows them driven with the same signal, that means the same amp, for both? I've heard from quite a few people that even just switching the stock underseat subs with the Earthquakes should improve the bass, even with the stock amp.

So you're saying that won't be the case?

If you do upgrade just the speakers, what does it mean in layman terms when you say "you lose broadband sensitivity"? I don't know how to read these charts...
Appreciate 0