07-07-2012, 12:28 AM   #111
RPM90
Major General
Rep
Drives: 340i M-sport AT

Quote:
Originally Posted by arnsbrae View Post
"Better software"

Fascinating. Makes you wonder why they would put better software on one car and worse software on another...

I feel such a fool for not noticing just how bad the standard automatic box was when I test drove it. What was I thinking about? What with the constant power interruptions and all. Tell me again - how much faster is the car with the sport auto?

And to think I could have seen the difference on YouTube.

Anyway, it's great to see how much you love your car and the choices you have made on the options list. Nothing wrong with a bit of enthusiasm.
I see what you did there.

I wouldn't call the sport AT software "better".
Simply, it has programming that allows for quicker shifts over the stanard AT. The faster shift programming likely comes into play in DS mode and likely during full manual mode.

Shift times for the standard AT I haven't found.
I have found specs for the sport AT describing the faster shifts.
Single gear up shifts 200 milliseconds. As fast as DCT.
Down shifts can occur in 100 milliseconds, faster than DCT.
Plus, sport AT allow for non sequential down shifts, so you can go from 6th to 3rd without having to shift down to 5th, then 4th, then 3rd.
That's another benefit over DCT, which has to do some sequential down shifts.

I'll post if I can find information on the standard AT.
It too is a great AT as it's really the SAME AT. The difference being shift times.

According to the new accel specs listed on BMW's website, the AT 0-60 has improved by .3 seconds for the 335i AT, and .1 for 328i AT.
Not sure why this happened as no power increase has been shown.
Maybe, they tested the sport AT this time and used the standard AT before? Can't be sure. We need more info to know why accel has improved for the AT.
Appreciate 0